Rhonda Bell Designs

Rhonda Bell is a mixed-media, fiber, and paper artist living in Austin, Texas. She is editor for All Info about Art Swaps site. A site dedicated to trading and exchanging art. that includes articles on Artist Trading Cards (ATCs), Altered Books, Altered Playing Cards, Art Dolls, Assemblage Art, Art Journals, Collage, Mail Art, Zines, Decos (decorated friendship books), Chunky Books, Greeting Cards, Tags, and other paper crafts.

Monday, April 10, 2006

Paper Craft Hiatus

I've been on a paper craft hiatus for almost a year now. Really, ever since I went to ArtFest and stopped at a yarn store in Seattle called the Yarn Gallery. There I fell in love with all the yummy yarns they had.

I bought some yarn straight away and made a crotched scarf based on a knitted scarf in the store. When I came back home and needed some more yarn to finish up more scarves, I went to Hill Country Weavers in Austin, TX. There I found more yummy yarn and classes for knitting.

I had want to learn how to knit for several years but couldn't teach myself even though I had bought books and dvds to teach myself.

Well, I took a class in May and I've been knitting ever since. I have a knitting blog and a knitting podcast. So you can see my creative energy has been somewhat diverted.

Well, last month I attended our semi-annual retreat weekend in Llano. There I worked on a book from one of Michael Jacob's books. I had a lot of fun with that. So I cleaned up my studio and this weekend I worked on some tags for a mingle.

It is a Cinquin tag mingle, where you write the cinquin poem and then create a tag based on the cinquin. It was a lot of fun. I came up with several poems, made a card, and three tags.

Now, I'm thinking of working on an altered book so that I have a compact place to put my art. I'm thinking of season based one. And I'll use the Spring themed cinquin tag I made as inspiration for the first page.

The altered book will be a work in progress, where I can experiment as well as have a place to put my art. And I don't want to put any pressure on myself to complete it. I'll just work on it when I have time and the inclination.

I'll still keep up with the knitting. I have a lot of projects I want to work on. But I don't want to let my other art forms go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Mortgages