Rhonda Bell Designs

Rhonda Bell is a mixed-media, fiber, and paper artist living in Austin, Texas. She is editor for All Info about Art Swaps site. A site dedicated to trading and exchanging art. that includes articles on Artist Trading Cards (ATCs), Altered Books, Altered Playing Cards, Art Dolls, Assemblage Art, Art Journals, Collage, Mail Art, Zines, Decos (decorated friendship books), Chunky Books, Greeting Cards, Tags, and other paper crafts.

Saturday, August 06, 2005

Bio

The moderator of one of the Yahoo! groups I'm on asked me for a bio so that I could be featured as one of the Aritsts Of The Month (I'm honored!!!). Here is what I wrote:

I have found that the best way to describe myself is to say I am mixed-media, fiber, and paper artist. I say this because I'm into so many different types of art it is just easier. I love crotcheting, knitting (I just learned how in May), rubber stamping, beading, drawing, and painting among other things.

I have always enjoyed doing crafts every since I was a child and made hooked loom pot holders. My mother taught me how to crochet and cross-stich and I've been doing those crafts since I was teenager. I also learned how to do beadwork after I graduated from collage. I made and sold jewelry and glass beads for several years as a sideline hobby. I also learned how to sew several years ago and have made a quilt or two.

I have always wanted to be an artist, but my brother was the one who could draw and paint (or maybe he got the most attention for it so I didn't think I was one). So I stuck with more traditional crafts until about 2 years ago when an artist friend of mine taught me how to draw. Or reminded me that I already knew how to draw.

But that wasn't the biggest gift she gave me. While I was staying with her at her home outside of Houston and in the evening after my lessons, she would pull out her rubberstamps and stamp pads. At first, I was taken aback. Here was a true artist, playing with rubber stamps!?!?! But she showed me how to use them and how to emboss and I haven't been the same since!!!

I got online and found out about Altered Books and art swaps shortly after that. I've been participating in swaps ever since and even started my own Yahoo! list, Art Swaps at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/art_swaps. And I write for the All Info About network of sites on Art Swaps at http://artswaps.allinfoabout.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Mortgages