Rhonda Bell Designs

Rhonda Bell is a mixed-media, fiber, and paper artist living in Austin, Texas. She is editor for All Info about Art Swaps site. A site dedicated to trading and exchanging art. that includes articles on Artist Trading Cards (ATCs), Altered Books, Altered Playing Cards, Art Dolls, Assemblage Art, Art Journals, Collage, Mail Art, Zines, Decos (decorated friendship books), Chunky Books, Greeting Cards, Tags, and other paper crafts.

Friday, May 06, 2005

Getting Started

Okay, Aisling (http://www.aisling.net/) gave me the final nudge I needed to start producing my own blog. She just put together a writer's blog group and she is planning putting together an artist's blog group. Check it out at http://www.aisling.net/blog.htm

I've been planning on starting my blog sooner than this but have been wrapped up in getting my art retreat set up for next September. I've secured the facility and have started seeking workshop proposals from instructors.

One day I'll have my ArtBlogOSphere(http://www.artblogosphere.com) web site up and running. The plan is for it to be a directory of art related blogs. I've been collecting art blogs to include but you have any I should include let me know. I'm going to use my computer programming experience to produce the site.

I'm so excited about the retreat. I've been wanting to produce something like this for a couple of years. I even had one planned for last October in Salado, TX but after my dad died in May of last year and I had to go back to work full-time (my dad and I did web application consulting together), I lost my motivation.

I've been hosting smaller 20 people art retreats out at Stonehaven Ranch in San Marcos, Texas for the last 2 years. The second one is next weekend. These retreats are about building community among women artists. The women come out for the weekend and just make art together. Last year I taught a couple of workshops and had Sarah Hickman (http://www.sarahickman.com) come out and teach a creativity workshop that include her playing some of her songs. It was an awesome weekend (except for the fact that Sunday morning I was devastated with the news of my dad's death).

This year I've been so busy that I'm not even teaching a workshop. Instead, I'm making it even more about building community among women artists then last year. This year I asked all the women who are attending to either bring make&take projects for everyone, teach a 2-hour workshop, and/or donate art supplies (or money for art supplies). We are going to have a workshops on making clay masks and on altered books. I'm really looking forward to the weekend. Some of the women who are coming I have never met before in person but are on my AnAffairWithArt Yahoo! Group list. How exciting!!!

I still plan on hosting the smaller more intimate retreat next year in May if I can get the dates at Stonehaven. Or maybe I should consider June since Art and Soul will be in Dallas in May. Will see.

If anyone is interested in attending and/or teaching at the September 2006 retreat, go to:
http://www.theartistsmuse.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


Mortgages